The Custom Reports Bundle is a collection of custom html reports and dashboards for PowerSchool. The content in this bundle has been contributed by several members of the PowerSchool customization community.
What's New in Version 4.1.4
Version 4.1.4 is needed for the return of the export buttons along with a few other additions. Also, due to some issues with schools that are using image servers any file that normally would have been in the /images or /scripts folders are now in a /pds/crb folder. This version is needed for all report packages version 4.1 or later.
- Click on the System Reports link on the left side of the homepage
- A new tab for Custom Reports will show, click that.
- All reports that it has gone and "found" will show. if you've installed more click the "Refresh Reports" link at the bottom and it'll go find the new ones. After a period of time it will automatically go and find them anyways.
- If you delete a report (from CPM or custom/web_root) then click the "Refresh Reports" button again to have the system remove that report from the list.
- If you prefer the non-dynamic list click on the Static/Dynamic button at the bottom
- If you've already click on the static list and want to see the dynamic list then go to the PDS Setup page and change from static to dynamic.
What's Different in 4.0
- Custom SQL Reports tab has been removed. We are working with Matt Freund who has taken over the SQL Reports project so that we will not overwrite each other. As such maintaining a built in version and a separate stand alone version seemed inefficient. Now if you have the CRB you can still install SQLReports without overwriting anything.
- Each piece of the CRB is now its own plugin. For users who prefer the custom/web_root method of customizing there isn't anything different for you. But for schools who use Custom Page Management (CPM) you now can install the reports as plugins. This adds a huge benefit in that the plugin can be disabled at any time and completely removed. If you were to remove the old custom reports bundle you'd have to delete hundreds of files one at a time. Plugins adds the same ability to mass delete files that custom/web_root users have always had. If you don't like the reports in a particular tab simply delete the plugin and it's gone.
- All reports are now in the /admin/reports/CRB folder. If you have the old reports bundle and are using CPM you might know that you'll have to delete all the files first in order to install the same files as a plugin. There were so many files that it was going to be a huge task for any CPM users. Matt Freund from www.sisresources.com had the great idea to put them all in a subfolder so that you didn't have to delete all those files in order to update. It's was a small task for us but hopefully will save you a lot of time.
- CRB now looks more like PowerSchool. For the last few versions of PowerSchool users have struggled to fix the colors of the tabs. Other visual aspects made it clear to the user that they weren't in PowerSchool anymore. For many schools that's confusing so we've made it look just like PowerSchool. Tabs are now PowerSchool tabs, filters are now PowerSchool filters, popups are now PowerSchool popups. We hope this will help maintain a look that your users are used to and allow us to keep up with changes as Pearson updates the PowerSchool user interface.
- Submit buttons are now pause. This might be strange to most of you but some of you have seen this already. The submit button allowed you to choose your filters and then submit them for processing. The pause checkbox does that as well, but with the checkbox "un-paused" you can make small changes and the report refreshes instantly. So if you are looking at a single student's information in one of the attendance reports you can switch students on the fly. If you have many changes to make in the filters simply check the box again and the report will hold off on processing until you are done. This is a change that was requested by a few schools for reports we built specifically for them. When testing with other schools they liked it so we through it into all of them.
- Page fragments are now used instead of customizing a PowerSchool page. This means we can inject our changes into the page (like the reports tabs) without having to modify the file directly allowing you to see any changes that Pearson makes to PowerSchool without having to merge the old to the new. For an example think of the giant white space many of you saw on the home page after a powerschool update. Pearson made a change and now your custom home page looked strange. It was an easy fix but you had to search to find out why it happened. Now with page fragments you can customize that same home page without the worry that a Pearson update will cause your page to look strange. This is a very good thing and we are updating any customized PowerSchool page to a page fragment to make your lives easier.
- Custom Dashboards has been temporarily removed. This will be added back when it can be updated to a more modern look and feel. At this point the only things published are the ones we've updated for the new look.
- Incidents tab has been removed until those reports are updated
- Logs tab has been removed until those reports are updated
- Scheduling tab has been removed until those reports are updated
- The export to csv, pdf, etc buttons have been removed temporarily. We hope to put them back in soon but to speed things up we left them off for this release.
If you have the old custom reports bundle you will need to do a few things to get ready to update. 1st, and most important, is to delete the /admin/reports/reporttabs.html. If you've added your own custom tabs there then simply remove the ones from the bundle as we will inject them using page fragments now and no longer need to customize that page directly. Those tabs include Custom Reports, Custom Dashboards, Custom SQL Reports. Custom SQL Reports will now be handled by SQLReports plugin and not the reports bundle. Matt currently has the update ready for you to import.
If you created your own reports for the reports bundle to have you will need to move them to the /admin/reports/CRB folder. A custom grading report would be moved from the /admin/reports/grading folder to the /admin/reports/CRB/grading folder. This was done so that those with the old version didn't have to delete all those extra files.
Why are there two versions of the base?
PowerSchool 7.9 and 7.10 allow us to insert the tabs via page fragment. We came up with a way to insert it that wasn't efficient but worked. 7.11 gives us the efficient way to insert the tabs. If you are on 7.11 or higher use the regular base. However we've provided a version for 7.9 and 7.10 users as well so you can still update now even if you aren't ready to update to 7.11 just yet. Thank the Pearson team for adding in the necessary code in 7.11 to allow for this more efficient page fragment. We told them how we were doing it and why and they made the necessary change to allow for the easier method.
If I install the 7_10 version will I have to delete a ton of files after updating to 7.11?
No. That's the beauty of the plugins. Simply delete the old base plugin and then install the newer base plugin. You don't need to update any of your report files as they will work for both versions of the base. If you are using custom/web_root you will simply go to your wildcards folder and delete the admin_footer_css.crb.content.footer.txt file and add in the /admin/reports/reporttabs.crb.report.tabs.txt file from the new base. All other files are identical.
What comes in the base?
The base is just the setup files. It's the least common denominator that you would need to run any of the reports. It includes the page fragment for the tabs, the setup files for the dynamic tabs, and any images or stylesheets needed throughout the bundle. If you only install the base you will only have 1 tab, the setup tab. Other tabs can be added with other plugins.
Do I need the base?
YES! Without the base you won't see the new reports you're adding with the other plugins.
Should I delete the old files from a previous version?
You can if you want. Leaving them there does create confusion over which you should be looking at. But you can delete them at your own pace since the new bundle files are not located in the same place.
The old bundle had files I had to install by hand. What files do I need to install by hand now?
None so far. We aim to keep it as clean as possible without any files that don't install with the plugin. This wasn't a problem for custom/web_root users but it was for CPM users and we listened and are trying to make it as easy as possible for you.
I use CPM but have never installed a plugin. What do I need to do?
Pearson has made this really easy. Note these directions will only work if your account has permissions to run them.
- Click on System from the left menu
- Click on System Settings from the center menu
- Click on Plugin Management Configuration
- Click Install
- Click Choose File and navigate to where you downloaded the plugin
- Click Install
- Now your plugin is installed but not active. Click the empty checkbox next to the plugin you just installed.
- Click yes from the popup.
More instruction can be found here
What is the Sponsor all about?
Many times someone will pay to build a customization and then donate it back to the community. Several of the reports in the reports bundle were donated by schools who originally paid to have them built. It was their way of giving back. The update from the old bundle to the new took A LOT of time and is still taking a lot of time. Some of this time was done off hours but some was done on hours. As a result we are listing Computer Logic Group as a sponsor of the upgrade as they donated hours towards this update project.
Enough already, where are the other plugins?
Yes, this was a lot of information. Here are links to the other reports. Note that you can also search for them using keywords such as Attendance or Enrollment from the search box on the left
V 4.1.4 - Released 2015-07-27
- Added files to use with export buttons
- Moved common files from /scripts and /images to /pds/crb
V 4.0.1 - Released 2014-04-02
- Updated the customreports_static.html file to use the new css file rather than the old one